Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tomorrow

     One of the best movies I’ve seen to date was Act of Valor, starring real, active duty U.S. Navy Seals. What I liked most of all is that they portrayed real past missions fictionally and used a large array of real military hardware; this includes a mission to rescue of a kidnapped CIA agent, and a nuclear submarine that shows the might of the U.S. military to offend and defend. I am a strict realist, and appreciate what I believe the French call cinema verite; movies so real you feel part of the action, giving you a perspective that you may not be able to find any other way.

     Another aspect of this movie I found fascinating, is it’s relation of U.S. Navy Seals credo and guiding principles. One of these is the idea to have absolutely no fear of death. Not only does this make for a very effective soldier, it also shows true depth in their character, apropos for fighting a war!

     One of the things I liked most about the movie, it galvanized my American patriotism on many levels…I found all the American ideals and ambitions I had learned in school and life, were not only protected by an awesome military force, but I felt the noble spirit of my countries military establishing a corridor to rise above the new cold war and anti-Americanism, into the futuristic realm I thought I’d live to see when I first saw the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey in the 1960’s. When I saw this submarine cut through the waves completely eclipsing the might of the Russian navy a la the Kursk, I knew we might finally decisively win the cold war we had fought so long against the Soviets, with all their European airs. By the way, I’m a Russian-American, which makes my position all the more difficult.

     You see, before you judge me as a one-sided right winger, you must realize all the positivist grandeur that has come out of the military industrial complex, from technology, and yes, culture, something that most of the world doesn’t think Americans have.

     Don’t tread on me! Semper Fi

~Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment